Professor Suraje Dessai
- Job title: Professor of Climate Change Adaptation, Chair in Climate Change Adaptation
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Faculty: Faculty of Environment
- School: School of Earth and Environment
- Location: 10.22 Priestley Building
- Areas of expertise: climate change; future climate; uncertainty management; decision-making under uncertainty; climate risk management; science policy interface; climate services; climate impacts; climate adaptation
Suraje Dessai is Professor of Climate Change Adaptation at the Sustainability Research Institute in the School of Earth and Environment since 2012. His current research and teaching focuses on the management of climate change uncertainties, perception of climate risks and the science-policy interface in climate change impacts, adaptation and vulnerability. Suraje has published 45 peer-reviewed papers in journals such as Science and Global Environmental Change, 9 book chapters and edited 2 journal special issues.
He is the recipient of a European Research Council Starting Grant on Advancing Knowledge Systems to Inform Climate Adaptation Decisions â€“ Project ICAD (2012-2016). Suraje is also currently involved in two large European projects: European Provision Of Regional Impact Assessment on a Seasonal-to-decadal timescale (EUPORIAS) and Bottom-up Climate Adaptation Strategies towards a Sustainable Europe (BASE).
He is member of the ESRC Centre for Climate Change Economics and Policy (CCCEP) and a visiting scientist at the Centre for Climate Change Impacts, Adaptation and Modeling (CCIAM) of the University of Lisbon. He is currently a Lead Author on the chapter “Foundations for Decision-making” for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Working Group 2 (Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability) Fifth Assessment Report and also serves on the IPCC’s Task Group on Data and Scenario Support for Impact and Climate Analysis (TGICA).