Professor Andy Challinor
- Job title: Professor of Climate Impacts
- Email: A.J.Challinor@leeds.ac.uk
- Telephone: +44(0)113 343 3194
- Faculty: Faculty of Environment
- School: School of Earth and Environment
- Location: 10.20 Priestley Building
- Areas of expertise: climate impacts; climate change; food security; food production
Andy Challinor is a Professor of Climate Impacts at the University of Leeds with 20 years’ experience in modelling for food security. He is leader and founding member of the Climate Impacts Group at the University of Leeds, which currently has 15 members.
He develops and uses crop models together with climate models to create strategies for managing risk and adapting food systems to climate change. He leads one of the three themes of GCRF-Africap, a £9M project focusing on capacity building and policy; and is funded by the CGIAR, through the Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS) Programme for projects on climate-smart agriculture.
Andy was a Lead Author on both the IPCC Fifth Assessment chapter ‘Food Production Systems and Food Security’ and the UK Climate Change Risk Assessment (CCRA) 2017. He is also Lead Author on the current CCRA, Review Editor for the 2019 IPCC report on Climate Change and Land, and Specialty Chief Editor of the Climate-Smart Food Systems section of Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems.