Dr Hugh Rice
- Job title: Post Doctoral Research Fellow
- Email: H.P.Rice@leeds.ac.uk
- Telephone: Contact by email
- Faculty: Faculty of Environment
- School: School of Geography
- Areas of expertise: Software and model development; mathematical modelling; acoustic backscatter and Doppler velocimetry; in-line rheometry; numerical methods; inverse problems; order lattice theory
- Faculty profile link: https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/staff/11378/dr-hugh-p-rice
My interest in water-related research is through my experience of acoustic measurement techniques (2009-2019, Ph.D. student and postdoctoral research fellow) for multiphase suspensions, and analysis of complex datasets using state-of-the-art techniques and the commensurate bespoke code development are themes running through my research.
I am currently a postdoctoral research fellow in the School of Geography at Leeds. My role in the SIPHER consortium (https://sipher.ac.uk/) is code/model development for predicting the health outcomes of policy interventions. I was previously a postdoc in the School of Mechanical Engineering (2019-2022; code and model development for engineering product configuration management).
Previous to my Ph.D. I worked as an accelerator physicist at Daresbury Laboratory (STFC) and as a higher scientific officer for the Radiation Protection Division of the Health Protection Agency (now part of UKHSA), concentrating on the radiological assessment and remediation of contaminated land and food production systems. My academic background is in physics (M.Phys. Physics with Astrophysics) and applied maths (M.Sc. Theoretical and Applied Fluid Dynamics).