- Date: Wednesday 27 February 2019
- Title: The Role of Agriculture in Economic Transformation
- Time: 1pm-2.15pm
- Venue: Roger Stevens Lecture Theatre 19
- Chair: Dr Anna Mdee, water@leeds Associate Director and Associate Professor in International Development, University of Leeds
- Guest Speaker: Dr Andrew Coulson, Honorary Senior Research Fellow in International Development, University of Birmingham
Andrew Coulson is the author of Tanzania: a Political Economy (1982 with new version by OUP in 2013). He began his career in the Ministry of Agriculture in Tanzania in the 1960s, and was also lecturer to previous President, Kikwete, as UDSM. Between 2016 and 2018 he was Chair of the Britain Tanzania Society and a board member of the Tanzania Development Trust. Dr Coulson will present on his recently published book Increasing Production from the Land: A Sourcebook on Agriculture for Teachers and Students in East Africa (co-authored by Antony Ellman and Emmanuel Mbiha) which demonstrates that radical increases in yield are possible by using the techniques of conservation agriculture and organic farming, but with some use of manufactured chemicals and externally improved seeds.
Open to all. Webinar facilities available. For further information, contact email@example.com.