Dr Tess Somervell
- Job title: British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0)113 343 1690
- Faculty: Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Cultures
- School: School of English
- Location: 10 Cavendish Road, Room 2.01
- Research Area: English literature, 1660-1830; nature poetry; ecocriticism; literary representations of weather and climate; floods in literature; literature and science
Dr Tess Somervell joined Leeds in 2016 as a Research Fellow, assisting on the AHRC-funded project ‘British Romantic Writing and Environmental Catastrophe’. As part of this project she carried out research into representations of the Deluge in eighteenth-century and Romantic writing, with a particular focus on Wordsworth. She is interested in how the biblical Deluge was reimagined by poets in the light of developments in geological history, ideas about nature, and theories of time.
From 2017 Dr Somervell is a British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow, working on a project titled ‘Georgic Climates: Writing the Weather in Eighteenth-Century Poetry’.