- Job title: Chair in Wetland Science
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 113 34 36834
- Faculty: Faculty of Environment
- School: School of Geography
- Location: Garstang 10.37
- External profile link: https://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/people/a.baird
Prof Andrew Baird holds the position of Chair in Wetland Science. His research looks to understand ecosystem dynamics in wetlands, particularly peatlands, with a focus on the water and carbon cycles and on the use of numerical models. Much of his research considers the physical processes of water, heat and gas transfer in peat soils. Peatlands are globally-important carbon stores (they contain at least a third of the global soil carbon store) and are both sinks and sources of atmospheric carbon dioxide and sources of atmospheric methane. Because of this, they are thought to exert an important control on global climate.